Skip to main content

About this Show

Larry King Live

News/Business. Interviews with newsmakers and viewer calls.




Annapolis, MD, USA

Comcast Cable

Port 1234






Bill Maher 15, Ni Hao 12, America 11, Obama 11, Sarah Palin 10, Us 7, Hollywood 7, Newt Gingrich 7, Christine O'donnell 7, Maher 6, Afghanistan 5, New York 5, Cnn 4, Taliban 3, Iraq 3, Hbo 3, Islam 3, Washington 3, Koran 3, Joe Biden 3,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  CNN    Larry King Live    News/Business. Interviews  
   with newsmakers and viewer calls.  

    September 20, 2010
    12:00 - 1:00am EDT  

and act and write more of my own stuff in the future and do the kind of projectshat i feel like we haven't been shown that we can do yet. we're everywhere. and we're going to be here to stay. we're definitely on the cusp of something huge. >> i'm meteorologist jacqui jeras in your hurricane headquarters are the latest on hurricane igor. category 1 storm producing winds of 75 miles per hour just at its closest point to bermuda 40 miles off to the west. the storm has been lark the islands for hours now with hurricane force wind gusts and they've been reported as high as 93 miles per hour. those strong winds will continue throughout much of the night tonight. and then begin to subside by
monday afternoon. the storm has started a north easterly turn. that's a little bit of good news. it will continue to create large swells up and down the atlantic coast and that's going to last at least through your monday, possibly into tuesday, as well. that's the latest. i'm cnn meteorologist jacqui jeras. we'll have updates throughout the night as needed. >> tonight, bill maher gets his star on the hollywood walk of fame and yours truly was there. >> how appropriate. >> and now bill's taking aim at today's elections. islamaphobia and yeah, sarah palin. plus, takes your questions and calls. bill maher for the hour is next on "larry king live."
>> we'll go to john king in awhile and get election results. first bill maher. the comic, best selling author, host of "realtime with bill maher," which returns to hbo on friday night, september 17th. his standup special bill maher but i'm not wrong is now out on dvd. and today, he received a star on hollywood's walk of fame which we'll get to shortly. we'll talk politics with bill right now. i know you have a personal interest in delaware which could be the big story of the night because the republican establishment figure looks like he's going to get beat. the republican establishment saying they won't support the woman who's going to beat him, a tea party person who you brought us. >> i really did. i mean, kristin o'donnell was one of our most frequent guests on politically incorrect". people who may not remember it because they're too young or watching johnny carson or
something, may not remember that we created people like ann coulter, laura ingram. i could go on with a number of -- >> how did you find them? >> we like to book, you know, i don't know. i drank a lot in those days, larry. we did like to book a lot of female conservatives. they were good press and good for the show. we loved kristin o'donnell. you cannot not like her. she is such a nice person. we have great clip of ben affleck on that show saying please, christine, shut up. because i guess she would just go on. she was known back then as the girl from salt, salt being the saviors alliance for lifting the truth and i guess that's still the schtick she's playing. so part of me for sentimental reasons is rooting for kristin in delaware. the other part is rooting for her because she's going to get her christian ass kicked in the general election.
this is the great thing about the tea baggers and the republican party. a year ago we were debating whether tea baggers were independent. a poll came out and okay, they're really republicans. yeah, they're really republicans and they're taking over ta party. >> larry: who should worry more, republicans or democrats? >> democrats should be very happy that people like o'donnell are winning elections because in the general election, i think, now, of course, the democrats are going to lose some seats. probably a lot but not as many as they would have if the tea baggers weren't winning the primaries because i think voters are generally conservative and when i say conservative, i mean they're not comfortable with people who are out there on the left or the right and these teabaggers are out there. i've said it before on your show, when people get in a voting booth, it's like getting on an airplane. they get scared. they tend to do things that are conservative in nature, even if they're liberal.
and i don't think even conservative voters will look at people like sharron angle or maybe joe milner alaska although alaska is a separate case because there is very conservative there, but certainly christine o'donnell could not win in a state like delaware because she's just crazy. >> when you say crazy, give me an example >> i just think that people, they understand our country is in a lot of trouble. even people who are angry understand that crazy people aren't going to make it better. christine o'donnell like all these tea baggers has no plan, no agenda, no policy points. they have one advantage, they're running against democrats. that's it. >> larry: what do you make of this whole -- the anti--obama thing which has got in a sense crazed? he wasn't born here, he's a muslim. he's against america. what do you make that have fringe? >> i was talking about it with jay leno last night. i suggested maybe he's not even a mammal. he might be a werewolf, larry.
we don't know that. we don't have any papers on it. i mean it was bad enough were we had these people called the birthers. >> they're still around. >> many of them. no, they haven't gone away. but i was saying last night that i've identify this had new group and i'm calling them churchers. >> larry: the churchers. >> they're the people who don't think that he is a christian. >> larry: he's the first president to ever issue a press release that he is. >> he's a secret muslim, i guess you haven't been paying attention. >> larry: a secret muslim. >> when i talked to him, he told me about his plan to use drinking water to sterilize white people. whoops, i've said too much. >> what's really scary is that more people think he's a muslim now. >> larry: how did we get to this though? >> you know, i have a theory that the internet makes people stupider. and also fox news makes people stupider. you know, the pew group did a
study recently and found out that ten years ago, democrats, republicans, and independents basically got their news from the same sources, probably more from cnn, for example. then we had this polarity. now john edward was said we have two americas, we do have two americas. we have the america that's living in reality, the people who understand that obama is a centrist liberal from hawaii who's trying to dig us out of the hole we're in, and then we have this other fox, matt drudge, rush limbaugh reality where he's a muslim sleeper cell manchurian candidate sent over by his kenyan father. >> larry: what kind of intelligent person would believe that? >> intelligent person? larry, we're broadcasting in america. how ridiculous. no, i don't think intelligent people doll believe it, but then we're going to get into partisan bickering because more than half of
republicans agreed with the statement that obama is trying to impose islamic law on america. i mean that's a very radical thing to believe and it's more than half of republicans. not tea baggers, not radical, the mainstream republican people. >> larry: is there a racist tone to this? in other words, is this racist -- is this inherent racism? where does it come from? >> does the pope go to the bathroom in the woods? yeah, larry, it's extremely racist. it's so funny, because the teabaggers, the one thing they hate is when you call them racist. the other thing they hate is black people. but they won't say it. if you saw what newt gingrich was saying? >> oh, yeah, whoo. >> for those who don't no, i don't know if i can even recount it in a way that makes sense to people. he was quoted from an article by denesh desouza, who is an amoral person who was the guest on my
show on the night six days after 9/11 when i got into that trouble for saying that people who flew planes into the building were not cowards. he was the one who started that discussion. he said it over and over. i was agreeing with him when i got thrown off the air. but he never ever came out and said, you know what, i start that had. i should defend bill maher. rush limbaugh came to my defense and a lot of other people. anyway, he said a lot of crazy things. he is saying now and newt gingrich says this is what he believes, that obama is getting his philosophy from his father who he spent about a month with in his whole life when he was 8 years old. and that his father was a tribesman from kenya who was mad at white people. and so newt says that he's anti-colonial, like that's a bad thing. you know like george washington was fighting the british, that was a pretty good thing to be anti-colonial.
>> larry: while we're on politics, let's check in with john king for the latest. >> larry, dramatic blockbuster breaking news tonight. cnn projects that christine o'donnell, the tea party candidate in the state of delaware has defeated the long-time incumbent house member and the two-term governor mike castle. the establishment republican candidate. we now project by this woman christine o'donnell. she is 41 years old. he was endorsed by sarah palin and jim demint, the tea party favorite and making national headlines tonight by defeating mike castle, yet another victory for the tea party against an establishment republican candidate. the question now is can be she win in november. republicans were so confident mike castle would win and pick up the seat. christine o'donnell we now project will win this race. this one will reverberate across the country. another big victory for the tea party, another republican establishment going down in a
year where we are seeing a fascinating tug of war for control of the republican party. >> big story and they gave her to us. >> the girl from salt, praise jesus, has won the election. she will never win in november. impossibility. >> when we come back, bill on the hollywood walk of fame. don't go away. [ male announcer ] even before science was science,
fire was fire. and the first language, the language of chemistry, was universal and eloquent. and the unique ability of chemistry to change everything has never changed. it is still the hope of human history to come. it is still the bond in partial between the elements. hydrogen, oxygen, carbon and human.
>> larry: bill maher received the 2,417th star on the hollywood walk of fame earlier today. i was there for some of the unveiling and here are some of the sights and sounds of the ceremony. watch. you see him as this kind of cold, effacing, serious, funny special guy. but he's also a warm-hearted great friend. bill maher getting his star is long overdue. well deserved publicity whoring. this is a man who is as close as we get these days to thomas jefferson in his vision, his devotion to rational truth and his love for black chicks. this is a special day for bill maher, but really this day should be cherished by anyone anywhere who values independent, truth and free thought. >> i want to thank some very special people without whom i
would not be here today. george bush, sarah palin and the pope. when i came to hollywood in 1983, i had one dream, to sleep with jodie foster. that didn't work out, but this is nice, too. thank you very much for coming. i really appreciate it. >> larry: i know how i felt when i got one. it's touching. >> it's forever. >> larry: it's forever. >> i think it's great that something as mainstream and corny -- i don't say that in a bad way -- wos include someone as out of the mainstream as me. i think that's terrific. >> larry: so you feel like you're an interloper in a sense on the hollywood walk of fame. >> i want to always be an interloper. i never want to feel like i'm a guy who is embraced by the people putting me on the air. i want to feel like i broke into the studio and took over and made them mad. if i'm not doing that, i'm not doing my job. >> larry: is that the way you felt when you saw the star? >> i felt that way when i saw
the star and about five minutes after i left, a homeless guy puked on it. that really puts it into perspective, larry. it's a humbling experience. >> larry: "real time with bill maher" returns this friday night. as we said, one of the best shows on television. we'll be back with more after this. it steams to perfection in minutes, giving the fresh flavors and textures of a homemade meal. marie's new steamed meals. it's time to savor. [ male announcer ] we all need people who will be there for us in life. people who say, "we're with you, no matter what." at wachovia and wells fargo, we're with you, when a house turns into a home... ...when a passion becomes a career... ♪ ...when a relationship turns into a lifetime... and when all the hard work finally pays off. we're with you when you need someone to stand by you. wachovia, wells fargo, and you. together we'll go far.
but one patient is my favorite... my mother. last year mom needed additional nutrition so i recommended boost nutritional drink. and she still drinks it every day. [ male announcer ] boost has 26 vitamins & minerals and calcium to help keep bones strong... and 10g of protein to help maintain muscle. making it the perfect compliment to your daily routine. [ amy ] boost drink gives my favorite patient the complete nutrition she needs to keep doing the things she loves.
>> larry: back with bill maher. a new cnn opinion research poll shows only 1 in 4 americans, 25%, say they trust the federal government to do what's right most of the time. 1 in 4. what does that say, bill? >> it says more people are trusting than should be. >> larry: you think 25% is high? >> well, considering what our government has done lately. but on the other hand, the democrats who have had a pretty successful legislative season don't really get credit for it. >> larry: why not? >> because it hasn't reached people yet. i mean, the big one was health care. as soon as it passed, obama went up in the polls because people love a winner. they love a winner, larry. if tiger woods had come back and won the masters, he could have murdered those women. he was sleeping with.
but you know, it kind of faded because the benefits of the program haven't been felt yet. and there was a report out today that said it really is not going to pay for itself. >> the car companies paid back the loans and they're selling cars. >> well, they also passed financial reform. you know, they eliminated the banks as the middle man for student loans which was long overdue. the democrats are very bad at selling their own product. the republicans are geniuses at it. i've said it before, a bad product well apologized for is superior in this country to a good product. the democrats do have a better product, as bad as they are. it's unfortunate that they couldn't have sold better and have better policies. afghanistan is a glaring error. >> larry: what do you want them to do in afghanistan? >> well, first of all, obama should have just had a different policy from the get-go. he's tied to it because he ran on it. he should have ran on the policy
that said the army is the wrong tool to use to fight terrorism in iraq and afghanistan. thank you. good night. but now he's tied to this dumb policy where we're supposedly committed full force until like eight months later when we're advertise that had we're pulling all our troops out. i mean, the taliban have outlasted people for decades and centuries. >> larry: how do you defeat terrorism? >> you don't. that's the key, larry. you don't defeat it. you have to understand. it's always with us. it's like saying how do you defeat crime? you can't defeat crime. >> larry: violent crime is down in america three straight years. >> down. right. and we've made terrorism go down. and by the way, obama has been president for 20 months and there has not been an attack. bush was president for nine months when we got hit. on that score, he's kept us safer. >> larry: you're saying they'll
always be -- a terrorist is born today? >> of course. especially since we do things like invade muslim countries. >> larry: should we not have called it a war on terrorism? we should not have called it a war. >> larry: because there will not be a victory day? >> there will not be a victory day, exactly. this war in afghanistan, i never read a good thing about it. the longer we're there, the stronger the taliban gets. i mean, i read bad things about the government of karzai. i read bad things about the afghan army, about the afghan police. i read bad things about our soldiers. and of course, they're put in an impossible situation and doing the best they can and very brave, but five of them now are up for murder charges. i read horrible things about what ordinary people in that country do. they stoned a woman a couple weeks ago for eloping. for the crime of eloping. this wasn't just the taliban. this was the whole village came out. her own relatives. that's got to hurt when the rock comes and it's from your mom,
mom! you know. it's not -- >> larry: and pakistan? where do we deal with that -- how do we deal with them? >> well, we're not dealing with them. what, because they're a muslim country who has nuclear weapons? >> larry: yeah. >> well, that happened while we were trying to get the nuclear weapons that weren't in iraq out of iraq. i think that genie is out of the bottle. same thing with iran, you know. we're obsessed with iran getting a nuclear weapon. that's like a father who is obsessed with his daughter losing her virginity. it's going to happen. it's going to happen and you're going to have to live in a world where it does happen. to give a little perspective, i was watching this movie from 1983. i got it on netflix. "the day after" do you remember this? >> larry: sure. >> was a huge sensation at the time because we were in the middle of the cold war and what it was about is what would
happen if the united states and the soviet union -- >> larry: wiped each other out. >> yeah. jason robards was great. steve guttenburg who lost his hair after the bomb fell. it was chilling because of course, in that era when a nuclear exchange took place, it was between two superpower who's emptied their arsenals and wiped out the world. we're not living in that world anymore, things are actually better. could a terrorist get a nuke into the port of los angeles, absolutely. but it would probably be just one bomb. as awful as that is but it's not as bad when two superpowers were facing each other with arsenals. >> larry: more with bill maher and "real time with bill maher" returns friday night on hbo. don't go away. it can find the best price on gas. >> show fuel prices. vo: and now its v6 gets the best highway fuel economy in its class. say hello to the new ford edge. quite possibly the world's smartest crossover.
♪ we need to finish those projections ♪ ♪ then output the final presentations ♪ ♪ sally, i'm gonna need 40 copies, obviously collated ♪ what's going on? when we're crunched for time, brad combines office celebrations with official business. it's about efficiency. [ courier ] we can help. when you ship with fedex, you can work right up until the last minute. it gives you more time to get stuff done. that's a great idea. ♪ i need to speak with you privately ♪ ♪ i found your resume on the printer ♪ everyone! ♪ i found your resume on the printer ♪ [ male announcer ] we understand.® you need a partner who gives you more time. fedex.
>> an astounding percentage of white people are okay with the health care system the way it is. >> most people reply happy with everything the way it is. >> would you respect obama if he was more like bush? you're a moron who makes horrible decisions but he makes the decision. >> rush limbaugh said about the oil spill, it's as natural as the ocean water is. mercury is natural, too. you don't put it in your cheerios. no. >> the only person who ever missed you is the iraqi guy who threat shoe. >> larry: i'm reminded by our crack staff there that christine o'donnell was on this program after joe biden made his acceptance speech at the democratic convention in denver. >> i still have a little ten
commandments that she gave me. >> larry: to carry around with you? >> well, it's a replica of the actual tablets that moses carried down from the mountain -- or as mel brooks said "i have these 15 -- 10." remember that? he would drop one of them. >> larry: you know, he had a terrible hunchback from the tablets. thou shall not alone weigh 48 pounds. >> take two tab lites and call me in the morning. >> larry: okay, sarah palin. i don't have to say anything else. >> well, i don't either, you know. she's got a show on the learning channel. that's like me having a show on the christian broadcasting network. i think she's going to run for president, for one. >> larry: could win if there's enough candidates -- i mean, can win the nomination. >> i cannot wait to see the republican debates in 2012, when you think about who is going to be on that panel. sarah palin, newt gingrich, haley barbour. john bolton, tim pawlenty. mitt romney.
how are they going to outfire breathe each other? where this rhetoric has gone to at this point. it's only 2010. we're having newt gingrich as we were talking about, calling him and anti-colonial lao tribesman. that's the new kenyan, larry. and kenyan, of course, was code for -- that's where they are, they can't say it out loud. but that's where this whole campaign is going to be. you asked about racism. it's all about racism. they cannot fathom this idea that there's a black president. that's what they're going to fight about. the other thing about sarah palin is that if you read that ""vanity fair"" article this month or the "newsweek" cover story where she's praying on the cover, she's a true religious nut. i know people are saying, there's bill maher, always talking about religion. read the article. read it about her. there's a part that said they were giving her books to study up on. they came back and said did you
read any. no, i haven't looked at the books. i'm reading e-mails from my prayer warriors. prayer warriors. these are people and she's one of them who believe there are demons in the world. everything in her world view is about demons or angels. people who are with us and people who are against us. you know, when liberals say things like when you fight the mosque, building the mosque in new york, you're just encouraging a war with islam. they don't understand, people like sarah palin want a war with islam. that's what it says in the bible. bring it on. let's get it over with. that's who could be running our country in four years two, years. >> larry: what do you make of the rumor that hillary clinton and joe biden will switch jobs? >> oh, i thought you were going to say something else. i haven't heard that rumor. >> larry: that's a bona fide rumor in washington. think of it. do you think it would increase the chance of the president to win?
puts it hillary, a woman on the ticket, and joe biden, a natural for secretary of state? >> they're two democratic war horses i'm sure they could do any job. i don't know why they would do it. hillary seems to have really fallen into her groove there in the state department. >> larry: it's just one of those things that is political talk in an off year. you know. >> but this isn't an off year. this is a really fascinating time because, again, we live in these two different realities. i don't think it's ever been like this. i know there's always been -- shall we say passionate -- passionate divide in american politics. but i don't think there's ever been a time when the two sides just have two different sets of reality. i mean, if more than half the republicans think that obama is trying to impose sharia law on the united states of america, that's just not something that you can argue about. that's just something in their
view that has to be extirpated. >> larry: how do you fight that if you're the other side? >> you don't, because you can't get through, that's the problem with the drudge/rush/fox axis of evil news bubble. nothing gets into these people's heads. they only listen to what they want to hear. they listen to what confirms what they believe, and what they believe is what they got from these people to begin with. you know, when glenn beck had his big rally on the mall, he said something like -- he at one point said, today, i was holding george washington's inaugural in my hand. no, you can't do that, it's in plexiglas. you can't. it's 200 years old, you can't give that to people to pass around and smudge up with their grimy fingers. but it didn't matter, because it never matters to these people because nothing they say is ever fact-checked. the governor of arizona talks about how illegals, you saw this on the news, were beheading people in arizona.
when the press asked her about it because it was patently untrue, she just ran away. sarah palin never talks to the press because they might ask her a question that she doesn't have a pat answer for. they know they don't have to deal with reality because they don't have to go to what used to be the mainstream press. >> larry: bill maher on the night of the 25th will perform at the orleans hotel in las vegas. we'll be right back. hi, ellen! we're going on a field trip to china! wow. [ chuckles ] when i was a kid, we -- we would just go to the -- the farm. [ cow moos ] [ laughter ] no, seriously, where are you guys going? ni hao! ni hao! ni hao! ni hao! ni hao! ni hao! ni hao! ni hao! ni hao! ni hao! ni hao! ni hao! [ female announcer ] the new classroom. see it. live it. share it. on the human network. cisco. in 2008 i quit venture capital to follow my passion for food. i saw a gap in the market for a fresh culinary brand and launched we create and broadcast content
and then distribute it across tv, the web, and via mobile. i even use the web to get paid. with acceptpay from american express open, we now invoice advertisers and receive payments digitally. and i get paid on average three weeks faster. booming is never looking for a check in the mail. because it's already in my email. (announcer) everything you need to stay balanced on long trips. residence inn.
>> i'm don lemon in atlanta. it is really coming down in bermuda. hurricane igor is passing by. that means heavy rains and winds about half of the island's residents have no electricity and the airport is closed. we'll follow that one for you. american sarah shourd is back on u.s. soil. she was released after she reportedly found a lump in her breast. she said doctors in oh man told her she's well. she thanked iran for letting her go but called on them to release the other two americans they are holding. the ma con dole oil well is officially dead. pressure testing confirmed the so-called bottom kill procedure had worked. the oil stopped flowing two months ago but it took till now to drill a secondary well that could seal it with cement. the pope has wrapped up his visit to the uk. before leaving for rome, he
condemned the sexual abuse of children by priests and said the abusers will brought shame and humiliation on the church. he also praised the british people for standing up to nazi germany during world war ii. those are your headlines this hour. i'm don lemon. keeping you informed, cnn, the most trusted name in news. >> give it a kiss, bill. >> thank you, everybody. i appreciate it. >> larry: with bill maher who got his star on the hollywood walk of fame today. >> christine o'donnell i'm just saying to you, you've got to do my show show this friday night. old time's sake. >> larry: you're inviting her now? >> i'm inviting her. she owes me. and i'm always nice to her.
you can't not be nice to her. she's such a sweet girl. >> larry: what do you make of the glenn beck -- you mentioned him -- phenomena? it is that. >> it's interesting. it might be an act. i don't know how much he really believes what he believes. some of it is obvious he doesn't read what he's talking about himself. he wraps himself up in the book "common sense" by thomas paine. thomas payne was an atheist. >> larry: the whole book? >> yeah. >> "the age of reason." it's like these people who quote the bible because they read that one passage. they haven't really read the whole bible. i don't think he really read thomas payne because it's nothing do with what he professes to believe in. it's interesting that he's segging from a political commentator to a preacher because that monument to himself that he had on the mall on martin luther king's big day, he sort of moved over to the role of a preacher. it was all about religion. it was all about god and faith. and you know, this is the guy who said obama has a deep-seated
hatred for white people. so it's not that big of a move. he's once again trafficking in the unprovable. >> larry: does gingrich surprise you with that statement, newt gingrich? >> it would more, except i've seen this pattern over the last year. that the teabaggers are actually taking over the mainstream republican party. >> larry: taken over newt gingrich? >> taking over john mccain. john mccain had a long noble service, i wanted to vote for him in the year 2000. suddenly, he was against everything he ever stood for. this was the guy who was sponsoring the sensible immigration bill in the united states congress. and now, he's talking about the border. he's on the beheadings page. he was saying illegals were causing car crashes on purpose. you know, just crazy stuff. i'm not that surprised that the teabaggers are getting the
mainstream republicans formerly mainstream to pannedder to them. newt gingrich used to be considered the thinker in the republican party. now he's talking about the lao tribesmen? >> larry: let's get to the islamic center by the world trade center. it's 12 blocks away, isn't it? >> two or four blocks. whatever it is. there's nothing else down there. that was a burlington coat factor that is out of business. you know what they should build there, larry? the burlington coat factory. people need jobs in this country and everybody needs a coat. why don't they just put up a burlington coat factory. >> larry: the return of the burlington coat factory? >> exactly. but no, i wanted to make a few points about this last night. >> larry: let me get to a break. we'll be right back with bill maher and we'll talk to him about the proposed islamic center in downtown manhattan. don't go away. u're an exchange . what? they think you're a businessman, using our house to meet new clients in china. for reals, player? [ woman speaks chinese ]
they overheard a phone call. [ speaks chinese ] something about shipping with fedex to shanghai. and then you opened a bottle of champagne. that was for a science project. [ man and woman speaking chinese ] i'm late rehearsal. [ man speaks chinese ] you and i are cool? i'll be home by curfew. [ male announcer ] we understand.® you need a partner who can help you go global. fedex. this is power with efficiency. this is an interior that exceeds even the promise of the exterior. this is the all-new jaguar xj. the stunning result of taking a very different road.
>> 58% of republicans don't think barack obama is an american. because he has a birth certificate that looks exactly like everyone else's. you know what? i will show you obama's birth certificate when you show me sarah palin's high school diploma. how about that? >> larry: "time" magazine has a cover, it says "is america islamophobic." pastor terry jones wants to burn
the koran. the islamic center, thousands protesting almost daily. what is the bill maher read on this? >> terry jones, i think, didn't burn the koran because he got death threats. i mean, it's not because he suddenly became reasonable. people like that don't. he got a note from muhammad kabluy, and he changed his mind. so let's not give him too much credit. the mosque, i always say three things about the mosque. i'm against building mosques, churches, synagogues, temples, anywhere because i'm an atheist. this is a place that perpetuates mass delusion. and second, we have a first amendment in this country, which says any religion, and i believe in freedom of religion, i believe in freedom of thought. religion is thought. you're allowed to build anywhere any religion. they should allow them to build the mosque in new york two blocks from the world trade center or anywhere else they
want. that's freedom of religion. that's what this country was founded on. >> larry: and i have a right to protest it. >> and have a right to protest it. the third thing i would like to say is that when people say, and some liberals get mad when they say that islam is a religion that is more prone to violence, yes, we have to recognize that, too. i think i misspoke on leno last night and i said what would happen if they burned the koran? nothing. well, no, plenty would happen. there would be protests, there would probably be deaths. people would die if they burned the koran. that's not going to happen if they burn the bible. snok we have to recognize that civilizationwise the radical fringe of the muslim religion is bringing up the rear. it's the duty of muslim people to deal with that. the sad fact about the mosque is, the people who are building that mosque are part of the sufi fringe or part of the religion. that's the good part. that's the liberal part. those are the hippies of the islamic world. we should encourage them. the people who want to build
that mosque, those are the people we should be courting. bush used that guy. bush -- that administration sent him overseas. >> working for the state. >> yes. that's the way to fight terrorism. that's the way to win this war is to get those people on our side, not to alienate them. >> larry: how big do you believe the muslim fringe is? >> bigger than our fringe. i think it's sizable, but not the majority, for sure. i mean, the biggest population of muslims in the world is indonesia. they're not crazy. the second biggest is india. there's 150 million muslims in india. they're not crazy. but saudi arabia, they're crazy. the taliban in afghanistan, they're crazy. parts of pakistan is it crazy. hamas is crazy. there's enough of them to worry about. >> larry: how does the civilized world deal with crazies? >> well, that's a good question. >> that's why i asked it. >> i would say, first thing is, don't use the army. >> larry: don't use?
>> no. because we're talking about, you know -- how many al qaeda -- do they estimate are around now? 400? by the way, 9/11 was perpetrated mostly by muhammad -- khalid sheikh mohammed. >> larry: right. >> i used to call him khalid shake shake shake mohammed. ksm they call him. it's interesting when you read about this guy. there's an article in "the new yorker" this week. he was not really al qaeda. he went to bin laden for financing. bin laden was like the studio. he gave notes, but he gave financing, and he did his own thing. okay. we got this guy. we waterboarded him 183 times in one month. he's behind bars. why can't we just say, okay, we got the guy who was behind 9/11. now, hey, new yorkers, forget about it! not forget about it entirely, but we're the land of the free
and the home of the brave. we should act like it. >> larry: back more with bill maher "real time" returns friday night on hbo. don't go away. eggland's best eggs. the best in nutrition... just got better. high in vitamins d, e, and b12. plus omega 3's. there's one important ingredient that hasn't changed: better taste. better taste. yum! [ female announcer ] eggland's best. the better egg. hi. we're ready to switch our car insurance to progressive. today just seemed like a great day to save. oh, it's not just today. with our free loyalty program, you earn great stuff like accident forgiveness and bigger discounts just by staying with us. oh! ooh! so, what you're saying is, it gets even better with age. oh! tell me we're still talking about insurance. rewarding loyalty. now, that's progressive.
call or click today. i'd get this tightness in my chest. so i went back to my doctor again. we chose symbicort to help control my asthma symptoms. [ man ] symbicort improves my lung function... starting within 15 minutes. [ woman ] symbicort will not replace a rescue inhaler for sudden symptoms. it is a combination of two medicines and should not be taken more often than prescribed. [ man ] symbicort contains formoterol. medicines like formoterol increase the risk of death from asthma problems, and children and adolescents may have an increased risk of being hospitalized for asthma problems. [ woman ] symbicort is not for people whose asthma is well controlled with a long-term asthma control medicine like inhaled corticosteroids. once your asthma is well controlled, your doctor will decide if you can stop symbicort without loss of control, and prescribe a long-term asthma control medicine. be sure to see your doctor if your asthma does not improve or gets worse. symbicort is a good choice to help control my asthma all day and night. [ inhales ] [ exhales ] ask your doctor if symbicort is a good choice for you.
[ male announcer ] if you can't afford your medication, astrazeneca may be able to help. i just want to say to the scandinavian tourists who are out there wondering who i am, i was the construction worker in the village people, so i will be signing autographs after for you.
and i want to thank some very special people without whom i would not be here today. george bush, sarah palin and the pope. >> bill maher -- >> that fireball ticks me off. because we spent $787 billion on a stimulus program when obama got into office. now, why couldn't he have said, look, there's a lot of people out of work in this country and our infrastructure is crumbling and needs repair. let's just take all that money and put those two thoughts together. let's have those people who are out of work repair the infrastructure. what happened to all that money? why didn't they fix that? an entire town blew up. do you know that we have pipes carrying natural gas in this country that are made of wood? i'm not joking.
>> larry: we had this question -- >> that's why the democrats are going to lose. >> larry: we had this question posted on the "larry king live" facebook page. can bill give us his thoughts on how social media is replacing mainstream media? >> mainstream media. it's funny. i was at jay leno's show last night. we were talking before the show. he said to me, you know, i don't understand. in the sunday "new york times" week in review section they always print jokes of comedians, and they have me, and they have letterman, and they have kimmel, and no you. why aren't you there? i said, i don't know. "the new york times" doesn't like me. they never report on me, even though it would seem they should, because people who would watch my show tend to be like the same people who would read "the new york times." >> larry: one would think. >> but it's interesting. we called my publicist and found out that it wasn't that. she said well, you tape your show on friday night and that paper goes to bed for their sunday edition well before that. and jay
said that's true because i notice never do i get a joke in that i did on thursday or friday. it's always monday, tuesday or wednesday. so here's "the new york times," the paper of record, apparently for their sunday edition going to bed on wednesday night. that's when they place the guttenberg type, larry, to make sure that that edition gets out on time. i mean, this is why mainstream media is dying. they don't have to die. but we live in an age where, you know, you get it on your blackberry immediately. so when they tell me that i can't print your joke because we print on sunday and you do it on friday, i'm like, i can't really help you, "new york times." a little speed, now that you know it now, doesn't part of you take a step back? >> i don't know. i like it. maybe i'm hooked on it. but i like finding it out right away. >> larry: you go on blackberry all day long? >> i try not to. but, yeah. >> larry: you text? >> endlessly. >> larry: not while driving.
>> not while driving. but it's the best thing in the world. you don't have to talk to people. >> larry: isn't that nice? we'll be right back. don't go away. words alone aren't enough. my job is to listen to the needs and frustrations of the shrimpers and fishermen, hotel or restaurant workers who lost their jobs to the spill. i'm iris cross. bp has taken full responsibility for the clean up in the gulf and that includes keeping you informed. our job is to listen and find ways to help. that means working with communities.
restoring the jobs, tourist beaches, and businesses impacted by the spill. we've paid over $400 million in claims and set up a $20 billion independently-run claims fund to cover lost income until people impacted can get back to work. and our efforts aren't coming at tax-payer expense. i know people are wondering-- now that the well is capped, is bp gonna meet its commitments? i was born in new orleans. my family still lives here. i'm gonna be here until we make this right. and wear hats. i was always the hat guy. i can't even tell you how much it's changed my life. [ male announcer ] only rogaine is proven to regrow hair in 85% of guys. no more hats. [ male announcer ] stop losing. start gaining. hey what's going on? doing the shipping. man, it would be a lot easier if we didn't have to weigh 'em all. if those boxes are under 70 lbs. you don't have to weigh 'em. with these priority mail flat rate boxes
from the postal service, if it fits, it ships anywhere in the country for a low flat rate. no weigh? nope. no way. yeah. no weigh? sure. no way! uh-uh. no way. yes way, no weigh. priority mail flat rate box shipping starts at $4.95, only from the postal service. a simpler way to ship. >> larry: bill maher, you know you see him as this kind of cold, effacing, serious, funny, special guy, but he's also a warm-hearted great friend. they don't -- they don't come like bill maher. he is a special, special person. >> larry: had a great time today being part of the group that honored bill maher on receiving his star on the hollywood walk of fame. it was a wonderful morning. beautiful day, too. >> thank you, by the way. you were great. >> larry: rod blagojevich has filed a motion to toss out his only conviction in the 24-count corruption trial.
what do you make on that whole story? >> you know, when i heard the verdict, i thought the same thing i heard, i thought, when they let go of robert blake, when they let go of o.j. simpson. i mean, how many other people, you know it, how many times do we have trials in this country where people just get it dead wrong? they have you on tape. they show you beating the ever loving daylights out of rodney king. you can't convict them. o.j. simpson, her blood was in his socks. they couldn't convict him. robert blake, i went back to the restaurant to get the gun, you know? and i think at the end of the day, what you have to understand is that thing are not going to get better in this country politically because of the people. it's the people. the country can't get well if the people are sick. and the people are sick. now, i know obama's not been the best president, and the democrats are not the best politicians, but you know what?
we elected him just two years ago to fix this massive bunch of problems we have, and because he didn't do it by football season, we are ready to throw him out on the street and bring back the guys who messed it up just two years ago. that's a little too impatient. yes, when he got the patient, the patient was bleeding to death. he got the patient to stop bleeding. but, okay, the patient is not up and back at the office quite yet. it's no reason to throw the doctor out and get back the doctor who was using leaches. >> larry: well put. but it is what it is. right? i mean, we can't -- >> it's not going to get better in our lifetime. i don't think. i don't want to be a downer, but, you know, my great friend arianna huffington has a book coming out or maybe it's out called "third world america." >> larry: i think it's just right. >> brilliant. i've been saying that for years. they will say, bill, why do you hate america first? i don't hate america, i love america.
i want it to be better. the only way for it to be better is to realistically criticize what's wrong with it. that's not what the republicans do. >> larry: so we can safely say you are a pessimist. >> i don't want to be a pessimist. i'm a realist. one man's realist is another man's pessimist. but, no, i'm not like mitt romney whose book is called "no apology, the case for american greatness." really? always waving the big foam number one finger. we're not number one in most things. we're number one in military. we're number one in money. we're number one in fat toddlers, meth labs and people we send to prison. we're not number one in literacy, money spent on education. we're not even number one in social mobility. social mobility means basically the american dream. the ability of one generation to do better than the next. we're tenth. that's like sweden coming tenth in swedish meatballs. >> larry: number oe